Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Buy my friends?

Ok this is beyond the pale... I know that I may have some ridiculously antiquated notions as far as friends and friendship go, but the very idea of "owning", & "buying" & "selling" my friends, and ergo their friendship, is such an anathema to me.

Owning people?? humm.... Am I the only one who thinks this a bit outdated ? How can this notion be hip in 2008?
Buy and sell your friends as 'pets'.
Make your 'pets' hug, punch, and poke each other.
Change your pets' status messages to whatever you want.
Find out how much your friends think you are worth!

I tripped across this aspect of My Space today, while looking for the owner of a URL. I think I set up a My Space page for the store, but truthfully, as geeky as I can be, I am over 40 and it shows here. The idea that you have to note every &*^*&% minute of your existence and be plugged into a central DB so as to be "on" with your "friends" 24/7 is lame to me.

Of course, I do envy, just a tad, the 20something who is worth over a billion now for starting Facebook. Be that as it may, I think the pendulum has swung WAY too far. These kids will one day cringe - my heavens- can you imagine having documented for the ages the ideas and mistakes you made from 16-26 (ok 36) ...

This brings me to the next issue... how do I parent my children through this??? Do I really want my 5, 10, or 16 year old thinking she or he is worth $195???

Where will the help be for that one???